Sunday, February 17, 2013

Slow it down with coconut macaroons


Do you ever feel like your week was crazy but you're just not sure why? I feel like my schedule has been a little off, like I've been super busy, but I really haven't done much out of the ordinary this week, I don't think. Maybe I've been trying to cram too much in and it's starting to catch up with me? Who knows. But thank goodness it's Saturday!

I spent the better part of my morning cleaning up around the apartment, and snuggling in with my little Ellie, but I did have time for a nice, relaxing bath with this limited edition bath bomb! And it was just what I needed...relaxing with a hint of refreshing citrus to wake me up!


How cute is he?! He's called "The Ex-Factor," I guess because you get to watch him explode in the tub and feel vengeful? I just felt calm.

I taught my usual bodypump class this afternoon. And since I have to head to Florida this week for a demo shoot, I figured I needed a pedicure. I should totally feel relaxed, right?

But what really slows me down amidst the giant weekend to-do list is a nice spot of baking. And what could be more delicately calming than coconut macaroons?

My only past experience with macaroons was sneaking them from the kitchen of the country club I worked at in high school. Man were those good cookies!

And these ones from Real Simple's 2013 magazine came pretty darn close! Made with not much more than coconut, sugar, and egg whites, you probably have everything you need for this quick recipe already in your pantry.

Here's the game plan:

Ingredients

  • large egg whites
  • 1/2  cup  sugar
  • 1/2  teaspoon  pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4  teaspoon  kosher salt
  • 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut (about 5 cups)

Directions

Heat oven to 325° F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Vigorously whisk together the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl until glossy, foamy, and the sugar is mostly almost dissolved. Fold in the coconut, stirring until evenly combined.
 

Using a small ice cream scoop, drop the batter in mounds (about 2 tablespoons each) 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets.



Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes; let cool completely. The macaroons will keep for up to 5 days at room temperature in an airtight container.


I was impressed at how much body these cookies had without any flour in them. Slightly delicate and subtle taste, and all sorts of gooey in the middle. These ones were definitely a winner.


What do you do when you need to slow down? Is baking ever a go-to?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: