Thursday, January 10, 2013

Big Celebration for Little Victories!



I like to think that I eat healthy, but the reality is that I eat A LOT more sweets and sugars and indulgent foods than I'd like to admit, probably more than I'm even aware of. "I'll eat whatever I want until I turn 30 and it all sticks to my hips..." Sounds fair, right? I'm lucky to be a 24-year-old with a speedy metabolism, but that doesn't mean eating that stuff is healthy. As a group fitness instructor, I believe I'm a good role model when it comes to working out - I can push hard, but I know when too much is too much - but the nutrition thing? Not so much.

As 4PM rolled around yesterday, I found myself craving a cupcake from the bakery around the corner. I wasn't hungry, I wasn't necessarily bored. I just wanted it. It was hard, but I said no. I chatted with a co-worker, and I got a cup of coffee. And before I knew it, 6pm came by and I was on my way to yoga.



It doesn't sound like much, but I really think this is the first time I've practiced self-restraint in years. I usually give myself whatever I want. But now that I'm growing up, I need to shift those priorities around. That $4 cupcake wouldn't have helped my health goals. Nor would it have helped my bank account.

So I got to thinking, if I eat 3 cupcakes per week from the bakery around the corner, which has happened many times, that's $12 per week. That could buy me a new nail polish, with room for a latte. That's a lot of nail polish. And a lot of cupcakes. And I think I'd rather have the nail polish.

I was also tempted to skip yoga yesterday and just lounge around. But I dragged my butt there, and am so grateful for that 90 minute stretch session. It was exactly what my body needed.

Cheers to celebrating the small victories that will add up to big success! And when your body gets that craving, or wants to skip a workout, tell it to "Shut up and rub some dirt in it." We can't always let our selves have everything we want.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: