Thursday, January 3, 2013

Skincare Review: Olay Regenerist Microdermabrasion and Peel System

My skin is crazy. I rarely break out, rarely have a pimple or bump, but my entire nose is a breeding ground for blackheads. Ew, I know, gross. Sorry. But it's just the truth.

I have tried everything under the sun (except for a facial, I've never actually had a facial) to get rid of them. Exfoliating, several brands of pore strips, masks that claim on extracting all of them. Nothing really works. I thought about getting professional microderabrasion or a peel of some sort, but figured I try a drugstore variety before investing in a procedure I knew nothing about.

I picked up the Olay Regenerist microdermabrasion and peel system at CVS for $28.00.

The package comes with a very fine, orange microdermabrasion scrub that smells a bit like oranges and a serum/moisturizer gel.



First, you cover your face with a decent amount of the microderm-crystals, rubbing it onto your skin in circular motions for about it minute. You want to use ample product and rub gently and often. After one minute, apply a thick layer of the activator serum over the crystals, covering your entire face, and rub in for another minute. The serum will start to foam as you rub it into your skin, apparently releasing moisturizers.

It's normal for skin to be a bit red and the serum to feel a little hot after use.  It's recommended use is 2-3 times per week, but I felt that was too often. I used it once per week.

I'll be honest, this product didn't change my life. The crystals did a solid job of exfoliating my skin, my skin felt smooth after I washed it off, but it didn't get rid of my blackheads, as I've heard microdermabrasion should do. Nor did it even out the tone of my skin, which it claims to do. In fact, it made the red parts of my face redder.

Overall reaction: Meh, whatever. NBD. I'd give it a B.

If you want a deep exfoliation, this will do the job, but I didn't really see how this was much better than my typical exfoliator used daily. I probably won't be spending another $30 for a drug store microderabrasion kit.


Do you have any experiences with drugstore microdermabrasion? What were your results?

No comments: